You are here
Radio Integration Engineer
Radio Integration Engineer
Overall purpose of job
- The role of Radio Integration Engineer is required to develop software at the low level (e.g. daemons, drivers, kernel) that controls and integrates the radio hardware. CBNL is expanding its product portfolio and an additional Radio Integration Engineer is required to integrate the new digital hardware and radio elements into a system
- The role is as a member of the software team but you will also be a member of the cross functional project team that is tasked with developing the new product range
- You will need to fix bugs and write new features for our VectaStar product
- You will work with the rest of the software team (other software engineers as well as DSP, FPGA, radio and other specialists) to collaborate on development projects
- You will work closely with the system test team to keep the quality of software high and investigate problems together
- Work with support and product management to make sure the software delivered meets the customer’s needs, produce the right specifications at the right time and deliver to the specifications we promise
- Finally, you will need to follow the processes of the team and company, but be willing to improve them.
Major responsibilities and tasks
The following describes the type of work/assignment an individual would be accountable for, and expected to perform.
It includes work complexity, type of projects, type of contribution, type of influence desired across organizations, type of involvement in a team and so on.
It also describes the autonomy associated with each level. Note that for a given grade, the accountabilities and autonomy of the previous grades are assumed as included.
- Solves problems with established methods through application of known techniques and approaches
- Develops, designs, and delivers solutions within area of expertise and surfaces any issues requiring involvement of others
- Performs tasks with management coaching and guidance but with limited direct supervision. Uses some independent judgment for completion of assignments.
- Contributes to deliverables and processes of the assigned functional area and any project which they are assigned to – subject to appropriate design review by peers and/or managers
- Represents the software and integration work and effort in project meetings and helps define and drive timescales,
- Reports directly on a regular basis to managers
- Constant interaction with peers and team members from own teams as well as extended team members and engineers from other areas within CBNL
- Limited and managed interactions with external customers/partners as appropriate and agreed with managers.
Competencies (Technical, managerial, personal skills and relevant experience)
- A good degree in Computer Science or another applicable subject and 5 years’ experience in software development or 7 years’ experience
- Very strong C skills, preferably in an embedded or other constrained-resource environment
- Previous experience in development for Linux at the low level (e.g. daemons, drivers, kernel development)
- Experience with git, or at least other version control tools
- Some knowledge of network protocols, the lower level the better
- Happy working with large, existing code bases rather than fresh-ground development
- Radio and/telecommunications product development.
- Open Embedded
- Linux device drivers, especially network drivers
- Make and complex build chains built around it
- Desire to improve processes and ways of working.